Mental Health Awareness Week 2021: 5 key organisations supporting mental wellbeing in the music industry
10 May 2021
Mental Health Awareness Week takes place this year from 10 – 16 May 2021.
With approximately one in four people in the UK experiencing a mental health problem each year, Mental Health Awareness Week aims to get people talking about their mental health and reduce the stigma that can stop people from asking for help.
At the SMIA, we want to shine a light on outstanding organisations and initiatives making a difference in support of musicians and mental health all year round:
- Music Minds Matter is a free 24/7 helpine run by Help Musicians UK for everyone in the music industry.
- Music Support also runs a helpline for anyone in the music industry struggling with ill mental health and/or addiction. It operates 9:00 am – 9:00 pm on weekdays, and 10:00 am – 8:00 pm on weekends.
- Mind are a general resource, who you can contact for urgent help and support. They also have advice on how to support others.
- BAATN hosts an online directory of Counsellors and Psychotherapists of Black, African, Asian and Caribbean Heritage in the UK.
- The Young Freelancer’s Guide to Mental Health and the Music Industry. This guide was also produced by MITC’s Tamsin Embleton together with the MU’s Young Members’ Network.
Find out more about Mental Health Awareness Week.