Performers must be able to tour EU after Brexit, says music industry

Musicians are calling on the Government to help them work in Europe after the Brexit transition period ends on January 1.

Following rule changes that are set to occur next month, anyone carrying instruments or DJ equipment for work on the Continent will need an ATA Carnet form, which costs £350 each year.

Performers will also have to get work permits and potentially pay taxes for each different country. The French have said they will tax additional earnings. Those with instruments which contain even a small amount of “protected species”, including ivory and some woods, will need a CITES form and can only travel through some ports.

Players will need six months on their passport, different insurance, and an international driving permit. Research from the Incorporated Society of Musicians shows that 44 per cent of performers earned some income in the EU before the pandemic. ISM boss Deborah Annetts said: “The loosening of political ties must not be allowed to devastate an already vulnerable sector”.

Naomi Pohl​, of the Musicians’ Union, said: “There is a very real risk that the lack of a negotiated exemption or specific scheme for freelancers in the music industry will lead to significantly less touring and work opportunities in Europe.”