The SMIA is hiring: Marketing and Communications Executive
24 March 2022
Role: Marketing and Communications Executive
Location: Remote working / Scotland
Reports to: Creative Director
Salary: £18,000 p.a. (£22,500 pro-rata)
Term: Fixed term for 12 months; option to extend with fundraising
Working hours: 32 hours per week (based on a four day working week)
The Scottish Music Industry Association (SMIA) exists to strengthen, empower and unite Scotland’s music industry.
Our mission is to….
- Create and nurture a diverse, accessible and inclusive membership community that reflects the full spectrum of Scotland’s music industry
- Ensure that Scotland’s music industry has an effective voice within government, parliament and development organisations that facilitates understanding and awareness of key opportunities and challenges
- Produce and support projects and programmes to stimulate sustainability, domestic and international growth, development and innovation
… In order to strengthen and increase the value of Scotland’s music industry on the world stage: economically, socially and culturally.
Membership of the SMIA is free and open to businesses and individual professionals who work in the business of music in Scotland. Members work throughout the music industry ecosystem.
The SMIA receives Regular Funding from Creative Scotland, the public body that supports the arts, screen and creative industries across all parts of Scotland on behalf of everyone who lives, works or visits.
Creative Scotland distribute funding from the Scottish Government and The National Lottery.
The Scottish Music Industry Association (SMIA) is looking to recruit a Marketing and Communications Executive to join our small dedicated team. The role is two-fold in that the Marketing and Communications Executive will be responsible for the day-to-day delivery of both internal communications (such as to the SMIA’s membership) as well as external communications (such as to prospective members and key external stakeholders).
The Marketing and Communications Executive will report to the Creative Director and will support the SMIA team across all aspects of company communications, including with members, prospective members, partners and key external stakeholders. Experience in copywriting, marketing, online content and community/website/social media management is required in order to meet the objectives of this role. The Marketing and Communications Executive will think strategically, act tactically and have exemplary attention to detail.
- Support the development and implementation of the SMIA’s communications strategy, under the guidance of the Creative Director.
- Undertake day-to-day management of the SMIA’s website, social media and digital communication channels; copywriting, drafting/categorising/scheduling posts, delivering community management, running updates (WordPress, plug-ins etc.), troubleshooting all website/communication channel issues and improving user engagement experiences regularly.
- Act as a key point of contact for members across all digital communication channels; being on hand to offer support and advice to maximise the SMIA’s impact and benefit.
- Help drive SMIA membership and positive brand perception through delivering strategic and creative communications; highlighting the key benefits of being part of our membership community.
- Write and issue event invitations, press releases (where appropriate) and other forms of communications to key SMIA stakeholders; regularly managing the SMIA’s contact database.
- Support the delivery of digital marketing campaigns as and when required across platforms including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Google.
- Develop and manage content/resources (written, audio and visual) for the SMIA; to be agreed upon with the SMIA’s Creative Director.
- Monitor shared/general SMIA email inboxes; responding to enquiries and forwarding any relevant information/enquiries.
- Create social media/website graphics by utilising SMIA templates.
- Source relevant news stories, events and opportunities to be published on the SMIA website and communication channels.
- Produce monthly SMIA Members’ newsletters and send other ad-hoc mail-outs as and when required
- Produce monthly reports on SMIA communications activity, with reporting specifics to be agreed with the SMIA’s Creative Director.
- Continually monitor and evaluate the SMIA’s effectiveness across communications; making recommendations to amend the strategy where required.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) with key attention to detail.
- Experience of day-to-day website, social media, content and community management.
- Proficient in using software packages such as MailChimp, social media scheduling platforms, CRMs, digital communications platforms, Facebook Ads Manager, etc.
- Experience of managing a wide range of digital content, including videos, infographics and imagery.
- A good working knowledge of how digital channels can be integrated to successfully deliver multi-channel, integrated communications.
- Experience of building diverse relationships and able to adapt style to suit the audience.
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to handle multiple projects/priorities
- Sociable, enthusiastic and polite with a positive approach.
- Passionate about music and a solid understanding of the music industry.
- Able to work as part of a team but also a self-starter.
- Experience of managing digital communities/networks.
- Knowledge/experience in graphic design and image editing.
- HTML & CSS coding ability, with an understanding of CMS systems, SEO and SEM.
- Content production experience (podcasts, videos etc.)
- PR experience.
How To Apply
*Applications for this role have now closed.*
If you meet the criteria we require for this role then we want to hear from you. We champion opportunity and celebrate diversity. The SMIA is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
To apply for the role of Marketing and Communications Executive, please send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: midday on Friday 15 April 2022.
We look forward to hearing from you.