Ahead of Soma Skool
- Rosie, tell us a bit about yourself and Soma Records…
Soma Records are an internationally renowned independent techno label, co-owned by Slam. Soma
2. What should people expect at the event in Glasgow this month?
3. Is there a cost to come along?
This event is FREE ENTRY and open to anyone over 16.
4. How has the market grown/evolved over the years since Soma Records’ inception?
There has definitely been a surge recently in young people seeing working in the electronic music industry as a viable career option. When I was at university 5 years ago, I was the only person in my class that liked electronic music. Now, in that same university, we have many people applying for internships at Soma and attending Soma Skool. Also, the industry is becoming much more diverse than it was 10-15 years ago, this is reflected in our panelists and educators.
5. What advice would you give to young people trying to break into the music industry?
If you’re just starting out, don’t expect people to give you opportunities but instead create your own ones. Gaining the most experience you can, and being knowledgable about the scene you’re in, makes such a difference when applying for jobs.